Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Whitehouse Correspondents' Dinner 2011

Thanks to the interweb we can enjoy gems like the WCD over here in Oz.

The WCDs are awesome. You may remember it from previous awesomeness like Colbert's take-down of Bush ... to Bush's face.

In 2011 there were two comedians on deck ... Seth Meyers of SNL ... and Barack Obama.

Both delivered smack-downs of awesome power ... on walking hirsute joke ... Donald Trump. If this was wrestling then they tag-teamed Trump's solo presence and clanged him upside the head with a folding chair mated with a fire-extinguisher.

I had tears ... TEARS ... rolling down my cheeks from both efforts. I also loved Stewart's praise of the smack-down, confessing he tuned into Celebrity Apprentice - hosted by Trump - to see if it had impacted on the oddly haired one - even though Stewart knew it was taped before the WCD ... because the smack-down was so intense it may have transcended the laws of physics and impacted backwards in time. Now that's high praise (1). Later I read that Trump's reaction to the mocking, Mr Celebrity Apprentice dismisser a guest of The Washington Post table, was so fuming that the rest of the table felt longer able to laugh or clap and kind of lapsed into a dead mime silence.

God I do love US politics.

(1) My favourite ever Jon Stewart compliment was to Matt Stone and Trey Parker. Of their broad way musical The Book of Mormon, Stewart said 'it was so good ... it made me angry.'

3 comments:

  1. It's one of those things I always mean to watch but never do. Might be worth it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Good to see I can comment again. For a while there I was getting an error message. :(

    ReplyDelete