Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Dang I gots the work blues

I spent the better part of a decade of having minimal oversight in what I produced work-wise. The downside was no one gave a shit about me. The upside was that I had near full control over what I did.

Then awesome new boss came ... came with techniques and an interventionist management style. She also knew more about the job that me. I kind of fell into it. She trained for it.

So what does this mean? Checklists and pointing out of errors made by me in documents with suggestions for re-writes and commands to go henceforth and fix it up. Not her fixing it. But her expending effort in telling me what needs to be fixed. As in she could have just fixed it and it would have been done. Instead instructions on how to do it so I will know for next time.

Professionally, this is good. This is what I need. It's the rocket up my arse I should have had years ago.

But sometimes ... sometimes I get disheartened by my fails and just sometimes I don't want to be taught how to fish ... I just want the fucking fish.

Fill comments with your own work blues, you know you got 'em.

2 comments:

  1. Let's see...

    Well the major one at the moment is noticing that everyone else except me gets praised publicly. I only ever get it in private. Praise and thank yous - all done privately.

    Yet other people get emails sent to the entire team and announcements made in team meetings.

    It's a small thing, but it's kinda disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw that sucks man, being denied recognition is a shit.

    My update is that my boss has apparently asked the rehab people to now monitor me. It would have been nice if she told me that was starting up...

    ReplyDelete