Sunday, January 03, 2010

Taking one for the team

As punters know, I am away from home and visiting family. As with any families, there's things you love and things that don't exactly press your buttons. My particular familial bugbear is food. To wit, the monitoring of my ingestion thereof by parental units - despite my more than adult years.

I'm in my late 30's for frick's sake.

Anyway, tonight I felt like having a Shredded Wheat biscuit or too, with some cheese. Only the biscuit packet had not been opened. Which meant should I decide to open it, my access to the backstage area of biscuit goodness would be readily obvious to all. Especially the PU's who have been casting a steely gaze on my mouth and presumably the hands that lead the food to the mouth region.

I sighed loudly to my beloved Sister in law about my desire and she, well aware of this food monitoring, offered to take one for the team.

'Just tell them I opened the packet,' she said, beaming.

What an awesome sister in law. Way to take one for the team.

Earlier that night theWife noticed that the remnants of the Gingerbread house in the middle of the table was now covered by an upturned bowl. She asked if that was protection Vs the mouse that haunts the house.

Me?

'Yep. And they [the parents] wanted to put a paper cone on me!'

You know, those cone thingies pets get around the neck to stop them gnawing on sutures.

Gold, baby. I got a finger tickle from theWife for that witty retort.

No comments:

Post a Comment