Sunday, October 04, 2009

Hypocritical snootiness

All of us are hypocrites in one way or another. Take me. I laugh at poor signage - especially the poorly applied possessive apostrophe on an s. Even though I make the odd mistake in that area as well.

So confession time. Here are some corkers.

I used to pronounce Halcyon as 'Hally-con'. I had never heard it pronounced so that's how it sounded in my head when read.

Also, I don't understand pronunciation guides in Dictionaries. And struggle to know what verbs, nouns, and adjectives are.

The other day we were watching Glee - the excellent High School Dramedy that focuses on a singing club. For some reason I kept confusing Alpaca with A Cappella. I said alpaca for like 10 minutes until it clicked it was A Cappella.

Nice one, smegwit. So yeah, I am a hypocrite. I look down on people that can't talk fancy when I can't talk fancy sometimes myself.

Mind you, I will always sneer at people that say 'youse'. 'Cos they sound like a cockhead.

See? I just did it again. Youse can feel free to mock.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh the dreaded 'youse'.

    When I was courting my childbride, her parents would send me home 30 minutes early for using such "peasant" speak... they have cured me of its use, however I am still a peasant!

    ReplyDelete