Saturday, September 05, 2009

Bonus tracks

I rarely buy music. Maybe 2-4 CDs in a given year. And chances are if I do buy a CD it's because of one song that I want to listen to.

I recently purchased the Best of Talking Heads, for Once in a Lifetime and And She Was. I know, buying best of albums is a tad sad to you snooty music snobs, but hey, I just wanted to get it for those two songs.

But ... I listened to the whole thing. And now, I listen (mostly) to it from A to B. Sometimes I skip ahead to the faves but mostly listening to the whole thing. I really, really, really like the song Heaven.



It's totally tits.

So ... you people like me. What are CDs you've bought and then been pleasantly surprised by additional tracks and played them a lot?

5 comments:

  1. I've been trying to fill in the many gaps in my music collection and the one thing that I have noticed is that there is a real variability in the quality of album tracks.

    One of the best as far as I'm concerned, is Wilco's album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, whenever I start listening to it I'll be waiting for a particular song to come on, and fall in love with something else in the mean time. It is such a thoroughly good piece of music from start to finish. Current favourite track, however, is 'Jesus, etc'

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite marked the difference between albums with 'singles tracks' and albums that need to be listened to as a coherent whole.
    The difference between Something like Status Quo 'Twelve Gold Bars' and Neutral Milk Hotel 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea' for instance...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wall is an album needs to be listened to from start to finish.

    It's unfortunate that another brick in the wall part 2 was stolen by hippies and other tree types with such ditties as "hey, minister, leave our trees alone".

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's truly awful when a much-loved song gets used in an advertisement for something too.
    They used Nick Drake's Pink Moon to sell VW Cabrios.
    What a travesty...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double amen! I really like the Chumbawamba song tubthumping. But geez it shat me when they sold the ad jingle rights to it within a week of it hitting the charts (or so it seemed). And I believe the product it spruiked was milk of all things.

    ReplyDelete

No comments needed, really.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.