Thursday, January 15, 2009

The plane! The plane!

Alas one of my all time favourite actors, Ricardo Montalban, has died.

As a child of the 80s, with access limited to two tv channels, Fantasy Island was one of the must watches for me. I fully loved that show. I loved Montalban's accent. I loved Tattoo. I loved the life lessons taught to the wealthy punters. And I couldn't work out if Mr Roarke's power lay in high technology or magic. That is until Mr Roarke, aka Montalban, bested the devil in a soul claiming contest. So ... um ... magic then.

I'd like to paraphrase Tina Fey's remark RE Palin that 'not since Slingblade has come along an accent anyone can all do.' We could all to Montalban and many times, indeed, I would. For obscure reasons. For sheeringly boring domestic reasons - 'I am opening the fridge, would you like anything little one?'

I remember I found out about the death of Montalban's Fantasy Island co-star, Hervé Villechaize, during an exam during my first bout of uni. It was an article assessment exercise and the article in question was an account of the tiny actor's life and tragic suicide.

So both of them are gone now. But they will live on ... in my heart.

Here's an blog post I prepared earlier.

3 comments:

  1. As he walked down the dark tunnel, squinting towards the light he realised he could see a strangely familiar shape.
    "Da plane! Da plane!" he squealed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should point out that I realise the plane comment was Herve Villechaize, not Montalban, but can you blame me for using it?

    ReplyDelete

No comments needed, really.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.