Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Oh dear - Mikey has a bristle

Lawyer: Your Honor, even though I've proven my client's innocence, I'd
still like to call Freddy Quimby to the stand. So that we can
all bask in his gentle decency.
[Freddy stands up, grins winningly at audience, takes stand]
Mr. Quimby, did you assault Mr. LaCoste?
Freddy: Of course not. I love each and every thing on God's green
earth.
Lawyer: Therefore, you would _never_ lose your temper over something as
trivial as the pronunciation of "chowder".
Freddy: That's "chowdah"! Chowdah! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of
you, especially those of you in the jury!
[man on jury mutters, "He's clearly guilty"]
Lawyer: Wow, that didn't go well. The defense rests.
-- Making the best of a bad situation, "The Boy Who Knew Too Much"

I have spent the last week waiting on boss++ to clear a report I had edited. So basically everything was on hold for them. In their defence they were very, very busy - but still I have deadlines to meet.

Today boss++ came to discuss it.

They had some minor clearance issues, and wanted the order of some elements moved around. Then it came to a head.

They did not understand why one of the sub reports was in it. I tried to tell them it was of interest, it balanced the heavier stuff, and that while it didn't meet the interest of the entire report audience it did however meet a niche group that routinely got left out.

I startled to bristle since I felt my professional skills were being called into question. The end result was I was seething, hostile, and semi-aggressive with them. I even reached down and pulled out 'agree to disagree'.

I dislike intensely interference with what I do by people who are not skilled at what I do. Every single time I get a new hierarchy I have to explain how my job works and why I do the things I do and in the manner in which they get done. Hell, I have to re-educate the SAME people each time because they forget all I told them last time.

Why can't people just let me do my job?!

When they left, my acting boss came over with some actually helpful advice. In the end I crafted a proposal style email, dressed it up all purty, and pinged it to the boss++ with the recommendations. All of which they agreed to.

Unfortunately one suggestion I then acted on that they had made was to double check an interested area had cleared content from another organisation. I assume that org had done so when they submitted it.

They had not.

Area cat thrown amongst pigeons. Said cat, opposable thumbs + chainsaw. Said pigeons - wings clipped.

So my stupid report is now even more delayed as that gets sorted.

I dislike confrontation. But I am proud I still stood up for what I believed and justified it with the knowledge gleaned from the skills I possess - which other people do not. And I got to keep my sub report in - even if I did have to take a hit on all the other "suggestions".

I tell ya. It makes wanting to be your own boss - or an uber rich gadfly without a care in the world - that much more attractive.

Poo bum wee.

Work. Who needs it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment