Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bogan names

This is an attack on bogan culture I admit. I dislike bogan culture. I think it's not a culture as such but a dearth of one. One where ignorance is bliss in some sort of Orwell meets Kath and Kim.

We had dinner tonight at my ex bosses place (the previous one to the last one). She is awesome as well.

We got to talking about names and she swears blind this is true.

When she worked for the court system in the west of Sydney she came across parents who had a child they called Whiffeny. I think she said the child was about five. Never having heard such a name before she asked how they spelled it.

It was spelled "Yvonne".

Gold.

8 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God.

    Friends tell me that Canberra is like the bogan mothership. Do you find it is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're kidding me, right?

    That takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this post a couple of times now, and every time it makes me laugh out loud... what a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bogan is one of those topics where the Wikipedia article (apart from references) is less informative than the too-close-to-the-bone-to-be-satire Uncyclopedia article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw she suckered me. I honestly thought that was for real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame... it's a great story!

    That Unencyclopedia article is pretty spot-on, except for the claim that boganism is associated with above-average strength, and the failure to mention the excessive and early breeding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh shit, that would've been awesome.

    There's a few people at work I'll have to fess up to now.

    ReplyDelete