Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Do fanatic football fans get the shits when fairweather types turn up?

World Cup fever is off and running. You can see the shine in eyes or, at my work, the blood shot eyes of those who stayed up to watch.

I'm not a fan. It's kewl and everything - and good on you if you like it.

But if you're a true fan are you sick of people that didn't give a shit before Uruguay lost suddenly coming on board the Socceroo's express?

People you know who couldn't name a single member, let alone the Captain a few months ago now discussing the minutia of who went on when?

It gives me the shits.

Sure I will be proud by association if we go well. But I tell you this. I ain't staying up for it.

I am not fairweather. I remain uninterested and will be until this ends. As I am uninterested in all sports. Chalk that up to enforced sportage at the hands of fucking [bad word] at the private school I was forced to attend at hideous expense. Bullying evil minded pricks.

I do like though the spirit that global sport provides. It makes a nice change meeting someone in face to face in competition as opposed to dropping a bomb on their population cente.

Oh - Mr Fucking Vodaphone Tracksuit was just on smearing his pheromones over the Australian football team. What a fucking surprise. Do you think he puts it on when he watches all sports? I bet he does.

1 comment:

  1. But if you're a true fan are you sick of people that didn't give a shit before Uruguay lost suddenly coming on board the Socceroo's express?

    People you know who couldn't name a single member, let alone the Captain a few months ago now discussing the minutia of who went on when?


    Again, senor, I theenk our countries are not so deeferent as people say ...

    Sounds just like after the US team starting kicking (a little) ass in the 2002 world cup. Same thing happened here. As a long-time semi-follower of soccer, it made me laff that friends who never used to care about the sport suddenly did.

    My opinion about it is that I'm down with any sort of fanbase that grows for soccer, as long as it does something to get rid of goddamn gridiron football (that's for this end of the globe, natch). If that means some fairweather fans, so be it!

    ReplyDelete