I came across this happy camper in wiki (see his article here)
I had heard of him before that, but curious as ever, I read it.
Man - he was quite the character. Formerly a Democrat then a Republican. A man who wasn't afraid to use racial segregation, gay vilification, general racism and the like, to push his far right agenda.
Here's some quotes from the wiki article. Now bear in mind he had a long time in office, and hell we all make gaffs now and then. But I gets the feeling he's a man who stood by what he said.
* "White people, wake up before it is too late. Do you want Negroes working beside you, your wife and your daughters, in your mills and factories? Frank Graham favors mingling of the races." - From an attack ad Helms helped create while working on the 1950 campaign of arch-segregationist Democrat Willis Smith against a more moderate Democrat, Frank Porter Graham. Another ad featured photographs Helms himself had doctored to illustrate the allegation that Graham's wife had danced with a black man. (FAIR 9/1/01, The News and Observer 8/26/01)
* "Homosexuals are weak, morally sick wretches."
On popular newpapers:
* "The New York Times and Washington Post are both infested with homosexuals themselves. Just about every person down there is a homosexual or lesbian."
* "We've got to have some common sense about a disease transmitted by people deliberately engaging in unnatural acts."
-In reference to why he opposed approval of the Ryan White CARE act, which funds AIDS research
* "There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy."
- States News Service, May 17th, 1988
I wonder why it is that some people suspect that conservative politics is home to bigots and f_ckheads. Yes, I note he was a Democrat first, but eventually found a happy home on the other side of the aisle.
Why is it in Australia we don't have to put up with c0cks like helms publically making these statements and getting away with it? Is it because we don't stand for this? (I am aware that such statements do creep out from the lips of certain polies when their guard is down - but nothing really of this level).
I suppose if could be that many of the above quotes were back in the 80's when us evil PC types had not yet thwarted the right of bigots to spew forth their ranting tosh about lesser races, and the gays, and so forth.
F_ck I hate republicans. Can anyone nominate a Republican they like? If so, why? I will also accept Nixon if you have a good enough excuse.